So, I now have 3 cross-stitch projects on the go. I've never had this many in-progress projects. It's a bit daunting. Since getting the Hermit started, I have completely abandoned that beautiful little kitten in the shadows. Well, I shouldn't say "abandoned"; it's just taken a backseat for now.
The other day I received a package in the mail. My daughter saw it when she came home from preschool and said, "Mommy, is this your new craft?" Oh my goodness, how sweet!!
I couldn't wait for the kids to go to bed so I could open up the new project and prepare it. The first thing I do is organize the floss. Dimensions kits now provide the floss already pre-organized in a strip but I find it's cumbersome, so I designed my own way of keeping the floss organized for a small project like this.
The next thing I do is prepare the fabric. I use some left-over floss from finished projects and stitch the periphery of the fabric so it doesn't fray. If I had a sewing machine it would take about 10 seconds to do, but since I don't this part takes about 15-20 minutes.
And... finally I can start stitching. The first thing I noticed with this project is how freaking big the squares seem now compared to the Hermit project. This fabric is 14 ct (14 squares per inch). The Hermit fabric is 22 ct! Doesn't sound like a lot but trust me, it makes a huge difference.
I started in the middle, like I always do. Here's the first progress photo. It's the body of the little pig.
Here's what it should look like when it's done. My target end date is early November 2012 as it is for a very special little boy's first birthday.